Ray Lake School District #4442 fonds. — 1930-1945, [ca. 1970]. — 2 cm of textual records.
Ray Lake School was located in the middle of the Ray Lake District, the last school district before the BC border in Township 74, near Demmitt. The District was recognized in 1929 and a log school with dove-tailed corners built by volunteers in 1930-31 on NE 26-74-13-6. The Ray Lake School opened for classes in 1931 with Alberta Spitzmesser as teacher. In 1952, the County moved in a new school on a new site, SE 34-74-13-6. The school closed under consolidation in 1958 and the children were vanned to the Hythe. Ray Lake School had the following teachers: Alberta Spitzmesser, Olivia Patterson, Violet Scott, Miss Macomber, Effie Davidson, Jack Cheal, Jack Lewis, Mildred Hill, Joyce Lang, Mrs. Riddel, Mrs. Simmons, Mrs. Reinhart, Miss McNamee, and Ada Schwietzer. As well, there were two substitute teachers, Beryl McCauley and Roger Jones, during the war years.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Ray Lake School District for the years 1930-1945, as well as accounts, debentures, and later historical notes.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06