Ashdown School District #4504 fonds. — 1930-1938. — 2 cm of textual records.
Ashdown School District #4504 was formed by residents of the Homestead District near Hythe in 1930 and named for the fine shite ash left behind by a forest fire. The district had no funds and could not apply for debentures because they lived mostly on unimproved land, so they decided to build a log school by volunteer labour. Soon the volunteers were back building the barn. The school opened in January 1932 with Ferne Horte as teacher. Teachers at Ashdown School included L. Phillips, P. Melrose, and P. Cranshaw. Ashdown School closed under consolidation in 1956 and students bussed to Valhalla.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Ashdown School District for the years 1930-1938, as well as accounts and correspondence.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, Volume II, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06