Willowvale School District 4774 fonds. — 1937-1957. — 8 cm of textual records.
The Willowvale School District was established in April, 1937, and a school site on the NW corner of the east quarter of section 26-77-7 was donated by Mr. Bill Bell. J.F. Burton was elected chairman of the school board, and John Baisley, secretary/treasurer. Later, A.S. Cook and M.W. Papps served in these positions. The first school cost $150 and was brought in from Rycroft. The first teacher was Alice T. Kinley. The school burned in 1938 and a new one was built by Harry Harper. An old granary was fixed up for a teacherage.
Teachers from 1938-1957 included Ella Hughes, Helen Sinnotte, Alice Wade, Helen Warnock, Ella Schamahorn, Kay Maravec, Neil Mc Devitte, Camelia Boadie, Connie MacDougall, Muriel Anderson.
In 1957, due to a lack of teachers available and with supervised correspondence the only option, the decision was made to bus students to Spirit River. After the school was closed, the land and buildings were sold back to Bill Bell for $1.00. In 1962 the Peter Krol family bought the property and made a home in the school.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1937-1940 and Daily Registers from