White Mountain School District 3288 fonds. — 1928-1954. — 9 cm of textual records.
Prior to leaving for WW1 in 1914. a young teacher, D Stennis, held school in the White Mountain district in Jack Stafford’s log home and then in a first school built on land owned by John Welch. The school district was formed in 1915 with 45 tax payers listed on the tax roll owing $16 per quarter section, but only 7 made payment that year. From 1916-1917, W.V.Sullivan and then Clara Leake were teachers. A new school building was erected on the SE corner of 27-77-6-6 in 1918. Teachers from 1918 – 1954 were Colin Faulkner, Etta Richardson, Millie Pinchbeck, Hilda Pinchbeck, Frances White, Grace Watson (Welch) , Alice Marcellus, Dorothy McKee, Gladys Reid, W.L. Robinson, Doug Blackie, Jack Minchan, Ruby Rose, Hazel Cougan,Vera Crone, Connie Barlow (MacDougall), Virginia McKenzie, Alice Mc Bride, Ella Schamahorn.
School population dropped from 30 in 1946 to 18 the next year. By 1950 there were 7 students. The school building was used for community events including dances, card parties, showers, Christmas concerts, and church services.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1928-1954. Included in the 1953-1954 register is an application for enrolment in Junior Red Cross, and in the 1935-1936 register is a school paper, the White Mountain Voice.