Wembley School District 3567 fonds. — 1948-1953. — 1 cm of textual records.
Wembley School grew out of the original log building that was known as Hillhead School. Hillhead School was established in 1917 and was situated on the south-east corner of the Myrham Stewart homestead. The first teacher was Margaret McNaught and John Watson was the chair of the Board. A new one room school building was constructed shortly after opening the first school. Some of the teachers’ names were: Miss Isobel McNaught (Perry), Miss Mona Foy, Capt. R.E. Campbell, and Mr. Fred Barber.
To meet the needs of the nearby rapidly expanding village of Wembley, the Hillhead School was moved to Wembley in 1925. A second room was constructed in 1925 – 1926. A new four room school (the Wembley School) was completed during 1930. Grades one to five continued to attend the old two room school while grades six through twelve attended the new school. Teaching at this new school were the following teachers: Mr. Mel Fowler, Miss Helen Bromley (later Mrs. Fowler), Miss Ruth Robertson (Stokke), Miss Mary Robertson, Mr and Mrs Whenham, Mr. McClung, Miss Kitlitz, Mr. Davidson, Mr. Sagert, Miss Louella Phillips, Miss Doreen Feist, Miss Rhoda Patterson, Mrs. Storm, Mr. Rigby, Miss Ballantyne (Johnson), Mr. Wenstob and Mrs Bunyan.
In 1954, a new school was built consisting of six classrooms, gym, science lab, typing room and administration office. The last students of the four room school were moved into the new school. First teachers in this new Wembley School were Mr. Lett, Miss Bode, Mrs. Scorgie, Mrs. Lowe, Miss Bannister, and Mrs Cook. In 1957, the school became part of the County System and the centralized school for that area.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book and one signed petition.