Wellington School District 3636 fonds. — 1932-1938. — 0.75 cm of textual records.
The Wellington School District No. 3636, organized in 1919, consisted of a strip about two miles wide by six miles long, between the Sexsmith and Clairmont School Districts.
The first school was built on skids in the Gudlaugson farmyard, as five of the six children attending were from that family. Two years later the school was moved to N.E. 6-73-5, then to N.E. 31-72-5 ca. 1925. On this site, a new and larger school was built on a cement foundation.
The first teacher was a young man just out of Normal School, Oliver Loptson. Other teachers included Miss Roche, Jessie McDonald, Miss Neilly, Nell Kent, Myrtle Dixon, Hazel Dixon, Marion Dixon, Edna Shore, Mr. Bullis, Mr. Byrnes, Rae King (Mrs. Andy Dolemo), Mrs. Dave Thompson, and Myrtle Tolley (Mrs. Jack Brown).
Wellington School served the community until centralization forced its closure in the 1940s.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one record book containing minutes and finances.