Watino School District 3832 fonds. — 1935-1959. — 8 cm of textual records.
The first school classes in Watinowere taught in 1920 by Mrs. Reed in her home while a log school was being built on land purchased from Nick Carbone (west of Harry Hanson’s store). Classes began in the school in 1921. In 1922, a school from lumber was built on the hill northwest of town. This was later used as a residence by John Cramer. In 1935 another school was built, with Nielsine Hansen as teacher. This building later became the residence of Nick and Anne Abramic. Finally in 1950-51 the Spirit River School division built a school, and by 1956 only grades 1-6 were being taught in it while older students were bussed to Eaglesham. In 1959 the school was closed and all students went to Eaglesham. In 1960, the school building was sold to community groups to be used as a hall.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1935-1959.