Wapiti School District 2802 fonds. — 1912-1938. — 9 cm of textual records.
The Wapiti School District No. 2802 was located in the Bear Lake Municipality on four square miles of land: sections 3 through 10 and 15 through 22 in township 71, range 7, west of the 6th meridian. It covered the Spring Creek area and was formed in 1912 under the name of Graystone School District No. 2802. In 1913, the name was officially changed to Wapiti School District No. 2802, and a school was built on the NE 8-71-7-W6.
The first teacher at Wapiti School was Mrs. C. Taylor. Other teachers included Miss Marion McNaught, Miss Margarite Johnson, Mr. R.W. Lickelt, Mrs. Maude Clifford, David Hunter, Miss Jennie Sundberg, Miss H.M. Robson, Mrs. O.L Simmons, Miss M.M. McDonald, Miss J.M. Redig, Miss Bailey, Miss Mallory, and Miss Eunice Holmes, all before the end of 1925. Later teachers were Anne Foss, Evelyn Roberts, Hazel Hartman, Mr. A. McQuarrie, Doris Campbell, Whitney Fletcher, Ellen Lewis, Fred Howlett, Mike Miller, Jeanne Westendorf, Noreen O’Connell, Raymonde Roberts, Marie Jubinville, Vernon McNamee, Ingebjorge Olsson, Eileen Murray, Tom Shannon, J.L. McIntosh, Mabel Wallace, Anne Matheson, Ursula Pankow, Verna Luckey, Edna Kiselczuk, Pat Grant and A. Dowhan.
In 1937, a new school building was erected, and when the student population became too large for the one-roomed school, classes were also taught in the Dimsdale Hall. The Wapiti School closed under consolidation in 1955.
The Wapiti River School District was closed with consolidation in the early 1950s.
The initial minute book (1912-1928) was donated to the Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District by Frank Stoll in 1986. A second minute book (1928-1938) was preserved by the Wapiti School District Board and handed in to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation. An accrual in 2011 of Daily Registers (1932-1936) and teacher Allan McQuarrie’s papers was donated by Dennis McIntosh, son of J.L. McIntosh, secretary for the Wapiti School District #2802 in 1935.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of two minute books of the Wapiti District School Board, the first one from 1912-1928 detailing the organization of the school district with Alexander Forbes as chairman, and containing the minutes of executive and annual meetings. Accounts, dealings with the municipality regarding road conditions, and school building and maintenance are some of the topics covered. The second minute book covers the period from 1928-1938. An accrual in 2011 includes 4 Daily Registers (1932-1936), a teachers convention inspectorate (1936), a copy of a play and a poem.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Accession Numbers: 1986.14, 2000.39, 2011.55
Related records: fonds 028, fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Along the Wapiti.
Table of Contents
|Series 101.02||Daily Registers|
|Series 101.03||Teacher’s Papers|