Volin School District 4461 fonds. — 1930-1955. — 8 cm of textual records.
Volin School District was established in 1930 with Jack Skaley elected chairman, Harry Dzioba, secretary, and Peter Nedohin, treasurer. The school site chosen was 3 acres on the south-east corner of NE 16-79-4 W6. A log school was built and opened for the first term in September, 1931. Henry L. Wiebe taught over fifty students in grades 1-8 for the first five years. The school was closed in 1955 after centralization of the school districts and the property sold for $1000.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a minute book from 1930-1938 and 15 Daily Registers from 1935-1955. Teachers after Henry Wiebe included M. F. Robertson, R. B. Smith, H. A. Melnychuk who taught on and off for most of the school’s history, Adele Roy, William Nedohin (supervisor), and Edward Rockarts.