Village of Sexsmith. — 1943-1957. — 1 cm of textual records.
The town site of Sexsmith was surveyed in 1915, together with the land for the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway when it extended south from Rycroft to Grande Prairie. At that time it was called Benville as that was the name of the closest Post Office, located 3 1/2 miles south and named after Benny Foster. When the railway arrived in 1916, the name was changed to Sexsmith, after David Sexsmith who had stopped in the area on his way to the Klondyke in 1898. After trapping in the Grande Prairie area for three years around the turn of the century, he returned to Edmonton to marry and start a family. In 1910 the family settled on two sections of land near where the town of Sexsmith now stands.
Sexsmith was incorporated as a Village in April 1929, with John N. Olson as Reeve. It became a town in 1979, and John Olson’s son Harold was the Town’s first Mayor.
The records came to the archives with a collection from the Sexsmith Museum in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of some papers from the 1947 and 1954 village elections and invoices and correspondence regarding the business of the Village of Sexsmith from 1943-1957. Included are invoices from Sexsmith Supplies Ltd., Canadian Utilities (for street lighting), Northern Alberta Railways, Municipal Supplies Ltd., Province of Alberta taxation notices, North Alberta Land Registration District, contract labourers, Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital District, Florist A.F. Hubler, M.D. of Grande Prairie No. 780, Saskatoon Fire Engine Company Ltd., McMillan Hardware, Midland & Pacific Grain Corporation, There is also a Government of the Province of Alberta invoice under The Old Age Pensions Act listing the five old age pensioners within the limits of the Village of Sexsmith.