Village of Clairmont. — 1935-1945. — 2 cm of textual records.
The Village of Clairmont was incorporated as a village in 1917. Crofton Cady was the first reeve, Mr. Mashburn a Councillor, and W. Coblentz the Secretary-Treasurer of the first council. Fire protection, police protection, road maintenance and animal control were their first concerns. Lack of paid taxes and problems with un-trained staff made governing the village difficult, but by 1935, Clairmont’s affaris were in order. During its tenure as a village, the residents of Clairmont were able to build a park and sports grounds, a curling rink, a skating rink and a tennis court, as well as maintain the municipal serives. By 1945, however, population had decresed and Clairmont reverted to the status of hamlet with the Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 127 in authority.
The records were transferred, on loan, to the Provincial Archives in 1970 by the County of Grande Prairie. The County requested their return in 2000 and donated them to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1935-1945, including accounts, taxes and tax appeal records.