Tangent School District 4474 fonds. — 1940-1974. — 46 cm of textual records.
The Tangent School District was organized in 1930. Board members included Joseph Beaudoin, president; Napoleon Granger, secretary/treasurer; and Philias Chaput, and Joseph Granger trustees. Plans were made to build a school large enough to serve as a church as well until one could be built. The site was SE 32-78-24 W5. The building was 28’x 42’ and included a 12’square living quarters for the teacher. The first teacher, Mr. Ernest Lecours from Lebret, Sask., began with about 30 students in January, 1931, at a salary of $900 and was succeeded by Marie Redmond. When Lecours came back for another two terms his pay was $650 a year. By 1940 the school was getting too small. A lot next to the church was obtained from the railway company but by 1941, this school was now a part of the Spirit River School Division’s jurisdiction as subdivision #1 and the Division was reluctant to see a school built where they felt population would decline. The Division finally agreed to the new building if the lumber and the excavation work was provided by local residents. Volunteers were organized by Joseph Gillon. The school was ready in January, 1942, where Claude Bisson taught grades 3-7 and Miss Therese Dandurand , a student teacher, taught grades 1-2, followed by T. Adele Roy.
By 1956, there were more than 115 students and a third class was opened in the Boarding School. A new school was built in 1957 and in 1958, two classrooms added. In 1960, an administration area and washrooms were added.
In 1977, the school closed and students were bussed to Eaglesham
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of Daily Registers from 1940-1974. The earliest Daily Register (1940-41) is stamped “Laval School District, No. 4820, Tangent, Alberta.