South Slope School District fonds. — 1930 – 1973. — 4 cm of textual records, 1 photographs.
South Slope School Division was formed in 1917, and the first school opened in the home of Eli Barrett with Mrs. Duncan Cameron as teacher. A one-room school was built in 1919 and a second classroom opened in a local business in 1936. A new two-room school, financed by debentures, was built in 1939 and used with the old school as a third classroom. In 1946 two more classrooms, a library and a science lab were added to the existing school and the old school converted to a teacherage. In the early 50’s some small schools in the area (Heart Valley, West Vale, Mersey and Peoria) were closed and South Slope again expanded. In 1955 a new school was constructed north of South Slope and was just called the Wanham School. Under centralization, a new high school was built in Spirit River, and in 1998 the Wanham School was closed.
Records were preserved by E.J. Harrington, school board member. When he moved away from Wanham, he left them in the custody of Wally Tansem, who donated them to the Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of correspondence from 1930-1973 (with the bulk in 1936-49), applications for the teaching positions in the new school in 1939, and 1 photograph of the student body c. 1938-39.