South Bear Lake Mutual Telephone Company fonds. — 1936 – 1972. — 17 cm of textual records.
The South Bear Lake Mutual Telephone Co., connected to the Dimsdale exchange, was chartered October 4, 1936, with Percy Clubine as president and Hayes as secretary. At that time, 35 shares in the company were sold for $20.00 per share. Shareholders were also charged $1.00 per month rental fee and no more than 10 subscribers were allowed on each of the lines, Rural 1 & Rural 5. Some notable early customers were the Dimsdale Cash Store and three grain companies: National Grain, United Grain Growers and Alberta Wheat Pool. When the area was integrated into the A.G.T. system, c. 1970, the lines, poles and materials were sold and the money returned to the shareholders. The company was dissolved on January 10, 1972.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes of annual and special meetings, financial statements, customer accounts and company accounts, and the material inventory upon dissolution of the company. Some publications from Alberta Government Telephones are included in the fonds, namely, the Rural Mutual Telephone Companies Act of 1963, the Articles of Association 1955, and “Planning the Line,” a 30 page document showing how rural lines were to be layed, attached to poles and houses, and secured for safety.
Table of Contents
|Series 040.02||Foundational Documents|
|Series 040.03||Financial Records|