Sears Lumber Company. — 1929-1934. — 3 cm of textual records.
Sears Lumber Yard was established in 1929 in Sexsmith, Alberta just after it was incorporated as a village. It was owned by Ray Sears, Sr. and operated by R. Macleod. Besides planed lumber, the store sold sash, doors, mouedings (moldings?), brick, lath, plaster board, beaver board, lamatca, roofing and paper rolls, shingles, sacks of lime, cement and plaster, and gravel and sand by the yard. The building supplies were sold to individuals, companies and organizations in the Sexsmith area. Business was good from April to December 1929, with just under $30,000 worth of sales, but during the 1930s, balance on hand was often little more than “amount paid out” whether due to the depression or to a change in book-keeping methods. In 1934, the business closed down.
The records were preserved by the Sexsmith Museum and deposited in Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2004.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one binder containing journal sheets with entries from April 20, 1929 to May 1, 1934. Besides recording the amount of each type of building material sold, the journal also records debits, credits, feet of lumber sold, name of customer, time sales, cash sales, cash received and cash paid out. The books are balanced at the end of each journal sheet.