Saskatoon Lake School Districts 2518, 3550, 56 fonds. — 1911-1957. — 17 cm of textual records.
The first school at Saskatoon Lake (#2518, also known as Cutbank Lake School) was built on NW 14-72-8-W6th in 1913, two miles out of Lake Saskatoon Town. Mr. Charles Higbee, husband of Dr. Annie Higbee, was the first teacher. Later teachers included Mr. E. Hockey, Marion McNaught, Miss Collette, Mr. Ferris, Miss Fraser, Louise Trelle, Wilhamena Pearcy, Mrs. Joe Boyd, John McNaught, Miss Lawrence, and Nettie Sharpe.
Saskatoon Lake School District #3550 was organized for the Village of Saskatoon Lake, on the west side of the lake. Saskatoon Lake Consolidated School District #56 was formed in 1918 when the two districts consolidated.
Trustees of Saskatoon Lake School District #56 were made up of representatives of both the Village and Lake school districts, and horse drawn vans brought the children in from the surrounding district. Consolidation was considered justified because high school could then be taught at Lake Saskatoon. A vacant grist mill was renovated to create a school near the shores of Lake Saskatoon. There was a main school room on the lower floor, an upper floor for teacher’s living quarters, and an addition for the high school. Teachers at the school included the Patullos, Miss MacGilvary, Miss Irving, Mr. Jones, Mary Donahue (Third), John McNaught, Isabel, McNaught, Marion McNaught, Gladys Lawrence, Vera Hadigan, and Ruth Rutherford.
In 1929, Banner Builders (Stacey & Knight) erected a modern two-room school on the north side of the lake. Two rooms upstairs were for grades 1-6 and 7-11; the basement provided living quarters for teachers. The first teachers at the new school were a husband & wife team, the Thirds. They were followed by the Brickmans, the Nordons, the Minchin brothers, Iva Carrell, Betty Hodges, Shirley Carter, Florence Lantinga, Anne Dyck, Marion Harland, Colleen Martin, Noreen Ford, Alice Wood, Elsaida Magee, Nettie Wood, Willie Taylor, Avis Reynolds, Alberdina Wilson, Alice Drysdale, the Letts, the Sherks and Lillian Lowe.
In September of 1954, the elementary school children were transferred to Wembley, but the high school remained open for the remainder of the year. In January 1955, the high school students also transferred to Wembley and the Lake Saskatoon school was sold to George Cooper.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 26 Daily Registers, one account book, and six minute books.