Red Willow Basketball Team fonds. — 1913-1917. — 1 cm of textual records.
1913 appears to be the year several women’s basketball teams were organized in the Beaverlodge district. The Red Willow Basketball Team organized in 1913 with a full slate of officers: Honorable President, C. Mc Naught; Vice-President, Mr. H. Walker; Secretary, Ivy Chapman; Treasurer, Mary Ray; Captain Manager, Margarite Mc Naught. Members were Mrs. H. Walker, Misses Marrion, Margarite, Isabel, and Effie McNaught, Miss Ivy Chapman, and Miss Mary Ray. Reta and Pearl Cleland, Agnes and Ada Wertenbee and Bell McNaught. The game was played wherever suitable grounds could be found and when the weather cooperated. The girls were also interested in organizing after game events such as campfires, social evenings, and dances to raise money to buy necessities such as a basketball, pump, and twine.
These records were originally donated to the South Peace Centennial Museum in Beaverlodge by Liza Sippan and were transferred to the South Peace Regional Archives by Lori Dalgleish in November, 2008.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a minute book (1913-1917) and 1 letter adressed to the ladies of the club from a couple of admirers.