Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association fonds. — 1936-2010. — 51.5 cm of textual records. — 60 photographs. — 2 blueprints.
The Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association is a volunteer group whose aim is to support the work of the Hospital and associated care facilities and to increase the comfort of patients by volunteering, participating in events, and fundraising to purchase equipment.
The first Hospital Aid society in Grande Prairie was established at a January 29, 1922 meeting attended by 35 ladies. The first President was Mrs. W. Pratt, the Vice-President Mrs. Begenon, the Secretary Mrs. Pentland, and the Treasurer Mrs. Gold. Villages and districts surrounding Grande Prairie were also encouraged to form auxiliaries, each with a vice-president responsible for organization in that area, although the system does not seem to have been well-received in the outlying area, the only assistance coming from Sexsmith and the Women’s Institute at Hermit Lake. The Aid society supported the work of the hospital by sewing and repairing items such as pillow cases, sheets, towels, diapers, gowns, and pneumonia jackets, providing reading material to patients, hospital visiting, and helping finish and furnish the Nurses’ Residence. The Aid society also engaged in fundraising efforts. The Hospital Aid disbanded in December 1936.
A new group, the Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital Auxiliary, was organized at an Open Meeting held October 28, 1949. The first elected officers were Mrs. Oliver (President), Mrs. Neville (Vice-President), Mrs. Carleton (Secretary), and Mrs. Bochor (Treasurer), with various other ladies serving on the Work, Visiting, Program, and Membership Committees.
After being known variously as the Ladies Auxiliary to the Grande Prairie General Hospital (ca. 1960s), the Ladies Auxiliary to the Grande Prairie Municipal and Auxiliary Hospitals (ca. 1960s-1970s), and the Ladies Auxiliary to the Grande Prairie Hospital Complex (ca. 1970s-1980s), the Auxiliary was officially incorporated as a society in 1983 under the name of the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association. The executive at that time was composed of a President, 1st Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. After various amendments to the constitution and bylaws in the intervening years, by 2005 the executive was composed of a President, Immediate Past President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Past and current committees have included: Membership, Visiting, Program, Work, Publicity, Baby Cupboard, Library, Candy Stripers, Gaming Activities, Foundation, Volunteer Services, Patient Library/Archives, Phoning and Hospitality, Visual Arts, Gift Shop, Coffee Money, Kitting, Special Projects, various events committees, and others.
In the early days of the reorganized Auxiliary, fundraising often took the form of raffles and social occasions such as dances, teas, card parties, and fashion shows. The Auxiliary began a number of new programs from the late-1960s to mid-1980s, related to both volunteering and fundraising. The Candystripers program was started in 1966 and in 1975 the Volunteer Program, supervised by a paid Volunteer Services Director, began to be sponsored by the Auxiliary. New revenue streams included rentals on the T.V. Steri system in 1974, a Gift Shop in the new Queen Elizabeth II Hospital starting in 1984, and working bingos from 1985 onward. Programs combining service with revenue generation included the Hair Care Program, instituted in 1976, and the Baby Photo Program, instituted in 1982. From the mid-1980s onward, fundraising efforts also included casinos, hole-in-one tournaments, duck races, the Festival of Trees, and the Dream House Lottery. Many of these efforts were done in conjunction with the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Foundation. Items purchased by the Auxiliary for the Hospital and Mackenzie Place have included such things as pianos, televisions, computers, drapes, tape recorders, projectors, Christmas gifts, stuffed toys, and many items of medical equipment including respirators, a fetal heart monitor, oximeters, a coagulator, a mobilizer stretcher, steel trays, pediatric cradles, a Choledoscope, ortho biotic chairs, a portable blood pressure apparatus, a scanner monitor, a blood incubator, and contributions to an MRI machine. The Auxiliary also assists in increasing hospital aesthetics by contributing to the visual arts program and wind garden project.
Other activities of the Auxiliary include running a library for patients and providing a bursary program for nursing students through Grande Prairie Regional College. Auxiliary members also donate numerous hours as volunteers, including visiting and assisting with feeding programs, patient help services, and food and drink in the Cancer Clinic. The Auxiliary is co-sponsor, with the Hospital, of the Volunteer Services Department.
The Auxiliary has membership in and pays dues to the Alberta Association of Health Care Auxiliaries, which is affiliated with the Canadian Association of Health-Care Auxiliaries. The Auxiliary has also been affiliated with the Northern Regional Conference of the Alberta Hospital Association.
The material was donated in 2007 (two accessions) by Phyllis Brazeau, who was responsible for the organization’s archives. Another accrual was acquired in 2009 from Irene Nicolson, another Auxiliary member. Another accrual was donated in 2011 by the Hospital Auxiliary Association.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of records relating to the operation and activities of the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association and its predecessor bodies. The records include incorporation documents, constitution and bylaws, agreements, licenses, minutes and associated reports of the Auxiliary, minutes of various sub-committees and other committees the Auxiliary was involved in, reference information relating to the operation of an Auxiliary, financial records, correspondence, records related to Auxiliary projects and programs including bingo, casino, hair care, baby photos, gift shop, and bursaries and scholarships, information on volunteer assignments, written histories, photographs, newspaper clippings, and material relating to the Auxiliary’s interaction with associated organizations.
The fonds is arranged in seven series based on record content: Legal Documents, Minutes, Financial, Correspondence, Programs and Projects, Associated Organizations, and History, Photographs and Scrapbooks.
For the most part order has been imposed by the Archivist taking into account record types and the divisions used by the Auxiliary in its original binders and folders. Original order, where apparent, within files and divisions has been maintained in many cases, although some smaller files have been combined and miscellaneous records interfiled throughout.
Table of Contents
|Series 436.01||Legal Documents|
|Series 436.05||Programs and Projects|
|Series 436.06||Associated Organizations|
|Series 436.07||History, Photographs, and Scrapbooks|
|Series 436.01||Legal Documents. — 1984-2005. — 3.5 cm of textual records.The series consists of the legal records of the Auxiliary including records relating to incorporation, agreements, and licenses. The records include incorporation documents (1984), the original constitution and bylaws (1984) and subsequent amendments (1991-1992, 1999, 2005), Society Annual Returns (1985-2005), signed agreements describing the Relationship and Responsibilities of the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association and the Volunteer Services Department (1983, 1985, 1990), records related to the agreement with First Foto (1996, 1999-2000), and Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission ID Number correspondence and Pull Ticket Licences (2000). The series was arranged by the Archivist by topic then chronologically. Many of the records were originally kept in the front of binders or duo-tangs containing minutes of the same period. Draft versions of Constitution and Bylaw changes were discarded.|
|Series 436.02||Minutes. — 1936-2010. — 22.5 cm of textual records.The series consists of the minutes and associated reports of the Auxiliary and various sub-committees and other committees the Auxiliary was involved in, as well as some reference information relating to the operation of an Auxiliary. The Reference Information includes General Information on Hospital Auxiliaries (ca. 1970?), AHAA Ceremony for Installation of Officers (ca. 1990?), AHAA Suggested Guidelines for Recording Volunteer Hours (1985), CAHA Position Statement Volunteer Hours (1989), duties of Auxiliary officers (ca. 1990), and the Agenda format for Auxiliary meetings (ca. 1990, 1995). The main body of Auxiliary Minutes consists of the executive and regular minutes of the Auxiliary from 1936, 1949 to 1954, and 1963 to 2009, and an account of annual reports from 1922-1929 written ca. 1970. Attachments to the minutes include agendas, miscellaneous material related to agenda items, financial information, gift shop reports, membership lists, roll call and volunteer hours sheets, a list of annual activities and expenditures, employee information, and newspaper clippings (replaced with photocopies). Other material of these types can be found elsewhere in the fonds. The Auxiliary Minutes were left in original order (basically chronological or reverse chronological depending on the file) as far as possible, although sometimes reverse chronological order was put in chronological order by the Archivist for consistency within files. Additional loose material was added in chronological order and Executive minutes were interfiled with regular minutes by the Archivist. Reports were removed when possible and placed in separate reports folders to maintain consistency, since many reports were already maintained separately. Duplicate records and Lists of Motions duplicated in the Minutes were discarded. The series also includes several files of reports made at Auxiliary meetings on various topics and from various sub-committees. The general Reports file (1974-2006) includes those from or related to the Auxiliary President, Volunteer Services Department, Allocations Committee, Festival of Trees, Mrs. Klaus’ Kitchen, Dream Home Committee, Wendy’s Million Dollar Shoot-Out, QE II Foundation, Board of Trustees, Visual Arts Committee, Nomination Committee, Bursary Committee, Social Committee, Patient Library, bingo, equipment, Conventions, volunteer hours, knitting, baby cupboard, and coffee money, and Auxiliary Annual reports. The general reports have been arranged by the Archivist in reverse chronological order. Treasurer’s reports (ca. 1975-2010) are gathered in a separate file to maintain consistency with the original filing system used by the Auxiliary. They have been arranged in reverse chronological order by Archivist. Hair Care/Baby Photos reports (1982-2000) are gathered in a separate file to maintain consistency with the original filing system used by the Auxiliary. They have been arranged in chronological order by Archivist. Lists of babies who were photographed have been discarded. Gift Shop reports (1984-2004), including financial statements and some inventory lists, are gathered in a separate file to maintain consistency with the original filing system used by the Auxiliary. They have been arranged in chronological order by Archivist. The series also includes the minutes and related material of Auxiliary sub-committees and other committees the Auxiliary was involved with. These include the Wendy’s Million Dollar Hole-in-One Shoot Out (2001), the Queen Elizabeth II Foundation and Auxiliary Dream Home Lottery Committee (2001-2002), the Library Sub-Committee (1995-1996), the Grande Prairie Bingo Association (1984-5, 2001), the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Foundation committees (2000-2001, including Bursary Meeting, Investment Committee meeting, Board of Trustees meeting), and the Gift Shop Committee (1990-2009). Each group’s minutes have been arranged in a separate folder in chronological order by the Archivist. Some minutes of associated groups were discarded if no involvement was shown by Auxiliary members.|
|Series 436.03||Financial. — 1949-2010. — 8 cm of textual records.The series consists of the financial records of the Auxiliary, including some fundraising and donation records. The financial records associated with the Auxiliary’s general account include a variety of different kinds of records, particularly for the years for which no income/expense ledger or detailed treasurer’s report exists. The records include receipt books (1964-1971), cheque stubs (some with treasurer’s reports on reverse, 1967-1971, 1989-1990), cancelled cheques (1971), debit slips (1967-1968), bank passbooks (1949-1970), bank statements (1970-1971, 1989-1991), fund statement (1966), bank information (1986), receipts and invoices for years with insufficient other financial records or transactions not recorded elsewhere (1967-1971, 1986-1989, 1991-1992), term deposit and investment information (1987-1990, 1997), and an Income/Expense ledger (1994-2000). Many of the individual invoices, receipts, cheque stubs cancelled cheques, and statements were discarded if the information they contained was recorded elsewhere. The series also includes information about donations and equipment purchases made by the Auxiliary (ca. 1980, 1993-2005). These records include lists of donations and purchases, giving reports, fund activity reports, equipment purchase analyses, and trial balances from the QEII Foundation and Mistahia relating to the Auxiliary. Lists of required equipment and capital equipment approval lists were discarded since they do not show what was actually purchased or donated by the Auxiliary. The series also includes financial and associated records of two of the Auxiliary’s fundraising methods, bingo and casinos. The bingo records (1985-2000) include schedules, lists of Bingo workers and volunteer hours, license material, Event Cash-Out Sheets, Final Bingo reports, deposit slips (1992-1993), a bank statement (1999), and related correspondence. The records have been arranged in reverse chronological order by the Archivist. Cheques, bank statements, and deposit slips for the Bingo Account were discarded when Event sheets were available for same period and Event sheets were discarded when Final Bingo reports available for same period. Concession costs sheets were discarded entirely. The casino records (1990) include general information about working a casino, licence application and associated correspondence, casino licence, a list of workers, equipment and staff contract, Opening and Closing Chip Audit, and financial report. Cancelled cheques, deposit slips, concession costs material, and bank statements were discarded. The series also contains overall financial statements of the Auxiliary for 1991-2009. Related records can be found in the Minutes series in Treasurer’s Reports and general Reports.|
|Series 436.04||Correspondence. — 1953-2009. — 9 cm of textual records.The series consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence of the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Auxiliary Association from 1953 to 2009 (predominantly 1979-2006). The correspondence files also include associated material including lists of letters sent, Auxiliary Christmas greetings from various years (others can be found the Minutes series in Reports), minutes, bylaws and reports attached to correspondence, various forms and applications, certificates, an event program, Bingo Licensee Terms & Conditions, and information on Use of Proceeds from Bingo. The Auxiliary correspondence was originally organized in a series of labeled files or within separate sections in the Minutes duo-tangs and binders. Occasionally incoming and outgoing correspondence was maintained separately. Because of frequent overlap between the two and to facilitate use and addition of miscellaneous correspondence, incoming and outgoing correspondence has been interfiled for all years by the Archivist, following the chronological or reverse chronological order of each file. The correspondence files were weeded fairly heavily to eliminate most of the unaddressed correspondence including newsletters. Many thank you cards and all resumes and cover letters for gift shop jobs were also discarded and some reports were removed and placed in the reports section of the Minutes series.|
|Series 436.05||Programs and Projects. — 1976-2006. — 5.5 cm of textual records. — 2 blueprints.The series consists of records relating to some of the programs and projects undertaken by the Auxiliary, including volunteer programs and assignments for Auxiliary members, the Hair Care and Baby Photo Programs, the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Gift Shop, and bursaries and scholarships awarded or sponsored by the Auxiliary. The series is divided into three subseries: Volunteers, Gift Shop, and Bursary. The records were grouped by the Archivist by program or project to form sub-series, then sorted by topic within sub-series, then arranged chronologically within files. As much as possible, where original order was apparent, it was maintained.|
|SubSeries 436.05.01||Volunteers. — 1976-2009. — 2.5 cm of textual records.The sub-series consists of records relating to auxiliary volunteers and volunteer duties. These records include brochures (ca. 1983-2006) advertising the Auxiliary, volunteer rosters (1985-ca. 2000), volunteer hour sheets (selected years 1985-2009), information on specific volunteer assignments, information and manuals on various programs including the Gift Shop, Hair Care Program, Baby Photo Program, and Volunteer Services Department, volunteer newsletters (1985), disaster plan procedures (1980s), a Flu Manual (1976), and notices on the telephone switchboard (ca. 1985), computerized patient services (ca. 1985), the prevention and management of abuse/harassment (ca. 2000), Photo ID’s and Criminal Record Checks (2001). The sub-series was arranged by the Archivist by topic, then chronologically within files.|
|SubSeries 436.05.02||Gift Shop. — 1985-2002. — 3 cm of textual records.The sub-series consists of records relating to the Gift Shop operated by the Auxiliary in the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital. These records include information relating to personnel (1985, 1990, 1999-2000), job descriptions (1990, ca. 1995, 2001), volunteer manuals (ca. 1985, 1989), the Gift Shop Employee Policy and Procedure Manual (2001-2), Emergency Telephone List, and forms for Travel/Personal Expense Claim, Employee Performance Appraisal, and Vending Machine Inventory (ca. 2001). The records also include those relating to the 1993-1994 Gift Shop expansion project including proposals, two Diazo architectural plans, related correspondence, and a 1994 Wild Rose Grant application, final report, and associated material. The original receipts, invoices and cancelled cheques related to the Wild Rose Grant were discarded. The sub-series was arranged by the Archivist by topic, then chronologically within files. As much as possible, the Wild Rose Grant material was kept in original order within the file.|
|SubSeries 436.05.03||Bursary. — 1981-2001.The sub-series consists of records relating to the bursaries and scholarships awarded or sponsored by the Auxiliary. These records include descriptions of scholarships and bursaries, lists of recipients (1992, 1996), an application form, an invoice (1992),volunteer graduation information and biographies (1992, 1993), and some correspondence related to the bursaries and scholarships. The sub-series was arranged by archivist in chronological order. Most correspondence was removed to the general correspondence files as much of the correspondence relating to this topic was already found there. Most of the thank you notes from recipients were discarded.|
|Series 436.06||Associated Organizations. — 1973-2001. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of material relating to the Auxiliary’s interaction with three associated organizations, the Northern Alberta Regional Conference of the Alberta Hospital Association, the Alberta Association of Health Care Auxiliaries, and the Canadian Association of Health-Care Auxiliaries. Records related to the Northern Alberta Regional Conference include meeting minutes (1976, 1989-1991, 1993), semi-annual report (1989), correspondence (1990), list of past executive (1991), Auxiliary report to region (1992), meeting organizational documents (ca. 1997), and a list of Hospital Auxiliaries within the Mistahia Regional Health Authority (2001). Records related to the Alberta Healthcare Auxiliaries Association include 40th Anniversary appeal (1988), list of auxiliary histories, statistics forms (1973-2001), and material relating to the 52nd Annual Convention in 2000 including a report on the Convention by Auxiliary attendees. Records associated with the Canadian Association of Health-Care Auxiliaries include correspondence, information, a questionnaire, and notes related to the new Canadian Council on Health Facilities Accreditation Standards for Health Care Auxiliaries (1992). The records have been arranged by organization by the Archivist. Related material can be found in the Minutes series under Reports and in the Correspondence series. AHAA newsletters, blank forms, and executive lists, CAHA newsletters and information, QEII Foundation Annual Reports, and Mistahia Health Region reports and information have been discarded.|
|Series 436.07||History, Photographs, and Scrapbooks. — [ca. 1964-2002]. — 1 cm of textual records. — 60 photographs.The series consists of material related to documenting the history and activities of the Auxiliary. These records include written histories of the Auxiliary (ca. 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994), photographs (1989-2002), newspaper clippings, programs, certificates, cards, funeral cards and obituaries, the prayer for hospital auxiliaries, newsletters from the QEII Hospital Foundation and Mistahia Health Region, invitations, Festival of Trees Gala ticket, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital 10th anniversary ribbon, and a flyer. These records were originally housed in three albums with several envelopes of loose photographs. The records in albums were removed for conservation reasons and two of the albums (those with mostly photographs) were combined. Additional loose photographs and newspaper clippings were also added to this combined album (the file labeled “Photograph Scrapbook”). All of the photographs were fairly heavily weeded to discard duplicates, similar poses, and, in the case of events with many photographs, poorer quality and less representative shots. All newspaper clippings were photocopied and the originals discarded. Some QEII Hospital Foundation publications, newspaper articles unrelated to the Auxiliary, and thank you cards have also been discarded.|