North Sexsmith School District 3637 fonds. — 1928-1939. — 1.5 cm of textual records.
North Sexsmith School was organized in the early twenties and first taught in L. Braaten’s cabin. A log school was built by volunteer labour under the direction of carpenter Jack Leslie on the N.E. corner of Don Coleman’s homestead. Grades one to nine were taught, with some students from neighbouring districts coming for grade nine.
Teachers at North Sexsmith included William Hendrix, Miss Hill, Milton McLeod, Miss Cobb, Helen Foy, Mona Foy, Gordon Stewart, Margaret Bittorf (Mrs. G. Lowe), Muriel (Don) Coleman, Lillian McFarlane, Ethel Drury, Mary Trenemon, Francis Young, Muriel Bradley, E.B. Parker-Nordon, Jean D. McNaughton, Virginia Housman, Mrs. M. R. Tracie, Marion Heller, B. Vik, Shirley Cooksley, Shirley Gammon, and Jean Housman.
North Sexsmith School closed under consolidation in 1947 and students were bussed to Sexsmith.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book, one requisition document and one Daily Register for the 1939-1940 school term.