Mount Saskatoon School District fonds. — 1930-1935. — .5 cm of textual records.
Mount Saskatoon School was located north-east of Beaverlodge, four and one-half miles west of Mountain Side School. The district was organized in 1929, and on May 5, 1930 a special meeting was held to pass a motion that one thousand dollars be raised by way of debentures for erecting and equipping of the schoolhouse.
Mount Saskatoon School opened c. 1930 with Frances Fisher as the first teacher. Other teachers included Marjorie McLaughlin, Thomas MacKenzie, Elma Buhler, Ingibjorg Jacobson, J. E. Fraser-Smith, Mrs. Wallace Clark, and Miss Hawthorne.
When vanning the students to Beaverlodge was first suggested in 1939, a petition from the parents kept the school open. Unfortunately, later that year the school burned, with a complete loss of building and materials. It was re-built by Charles Turner and operated for about 10 more years, but it became increasingly difficult to find teachers and the school closed c. 1948.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of two small notebooks containing Board meeting minutes.