Montrose Junior High School fonds. — 1977-1994. — 4 cm of textual records. — 1 photographs.
The very first Montrose School was built in 1917 and became the first 0-12 school in Grande Prairie. Montrose Junior High School, the first grades 7-9 school belonging to these records was built in 1960-61 on the same piece of Grande Prairie School District land as the 1917 school (which was still standing at the time). In the 1970s, when school programs and population needed more space, Montrose also made use of the three other old school buildings near them: Montrose School (1917), Grande Prairie High School (1929) and Grande Prairie High School (1950). It operated in its downtown location until 1992, when a replacement Montrose Junior High School) was built in the Country Club area in south Grande Prairie.
The Montrose Reunion Committee was organized in 1993 by former teachers who understood the building was soon to be demolished. (It was actually used by several other groups for many years.) A two day event was planned July 2-3, 1993 with a dinner and dance as the finale on the last night.
The records were held in Montrose Junior High School and donated to the South Peace Regional Archives in January, 2012, by Vice-principal Noel Beauchamp
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a postcard photo of the school, records of the Montrose Reunion Committee (1993-1994), and three scrapbooks (1977-1979), (1979-1981), and a copy of a scrapbook compiled by Patti Hannas, school librarian. All three contain newsclippings showing student activities and general school news.