Mersey School District 4272 fonds. — 1926-1952. — 10 cm of textual records.
The Mersey School District was formed in the Peoria district in 1927 with George Reiswig, chairman and O.L. Toftner, secretary/treasurer. The school site selected was SE ¼ 36-76-3 W6. The school house was in operation by January, 1928, with Marion Nicol the first teacher. By the fall of 1940, Mr . J. Sather was elected to be the delegate for this subdivision which was to be incorporated in the Spirit River School Division 47. The area served was divided into East Peoria and Mersey: the Mersey school was reopened 1mile north and 2 miles west of Peoria.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1926-1940 and Daily Registers from 1928-1952, recorded by teachers Marion Micol, Mande Wright, Dorothy Cox, Mrs. Dea Moore, Grace Farewell, Erika Eggert, Elizabeth Malnosky, L.J.Wlson, H Martin, Frieda Kandt, Mrs. M.E. Wellman, Phyllis McLean, Claudina Wegh (supervisor), and Mrs. Madge Murphy.