Lindsay School District 3898 fonds. — 1921-1938. — 8 cm of textual records.
Settlers in the Bezanson area first met for the purpose of organizing a school in the summer of 1920. A site on the NW 23-72-3 W6th was chosen, and upon approval of the Department of Education, Bill Welsh, of Grande Prairie, began construction. The school was named after one of the pioneers in the area, Mr. George Lindsay, and opened on September 1, 1921 with about 30 students. Miss E. Carter was the first teacher. In 1926-27, the school was closed for two months. The money saved by the closure was used to build a teacherage. By 1933, enrollment was high enough to demand a second room for the high school students, and in 1938, a new Lindsay High School was built on the SE 16-72-3 W6th (near the hamlet of Bezanson) where grades 1-9 were also taught, and the Lindsay Primary School was closed.
In 1950 the Lindsay Primary was also moved into the hamlet and five school districts amalgamated under the title of Lindsay School District 3898: Somme, Bezanson, Lindsay, East Kleskun and Fitzsimmons. In 1955, the name was changed from Lindsay School to Bezanson School District 3898. Teachers at Lindsay School included Hazel Lupton, J.H. Dixon, D.G. Scott, Fred Bryenton, Murray Skinner, Mary Clifford, Miss Dobson, Miss Lewis, Eileen Skirten, Mrs. Kelsey, Newton Grimmett, Isabel Moody, Jean Westendorf, Marie Bayens, H.B. Carrico, Isabel McKenzie, S.W. Brooks, Albert Thompson, E.J. Meen, C.S. Carson, Noreen Ford, John Morrison, Marie Ames, W.E. Griffin, Roy Gouchey, and Fern Gouchey.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book from 1934 to 1938 and Daily Registers from 1921 to 1932.