Fonds 385 Ladies Aid Society of the Deep Creek Baptist Church fonds

Ladies Aid Society of the Deep Creek Baptist Church fonds. — 1914-1917. — 3 cm.


Back to Finding Aids

Deep Creek Baptist Church was a church plant of the Baptist Union of Western Canada Church. In 1912 Rev. and Mrs. Herbert S. Bagnall travelled north to establish Baptist churches in the area. Home Mission Superintendent C. C. McLaurin had made a survey mission through the area the previous year. Deep Creek was located about 14 miles east of the town of Grande Prairie and was the second Baptist Church to be opened in the area (Hermit Lake Church was the first). By 1914 a church building was being constructed at the Deep Creek site on the land of Cecil Johnson (36-71-5). The church was officially opened at the end of August.

In September 1914 a meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Shortreed to discuss forming a Ladies Aid Society at Deep Creek Baptist Church. The first officers of the Society were Mrs. Shortreed, President; Mrs. Johnston, Secretary; Mrs. Bagnall and Mrs. Sawyers, Honourary Presidents; Mrs. Axon, Vice President; Mrs. Cooke, Treasurer; and Miss Carveth, Organist. Other members included Mrs. Mills, Mrs. Carveth, Mrs. M. Andress, Mrs. W. Andress, Miss E. Andress, Mrs. Crowe, Miss Vance, Mrs. W. T. Boyd, Mrs. A. Boyd, Mrs. Witherly, and Mrs. Whitfield.

The Ladies Aid held their meetings on the 2nd Thursday of every month in the homes of various members or at the church. Each meeting was opened with a devotional time (including hymns, a Bible reading, and prayer) before the business of the meeting was discussed. Some of the work they engaged in involved arranging for furnishings and improvements to the church, planning events, and sending parcels to soldiers serving in WWI.

By 1926 Deep Creek Baptist Church had closed and the Crystal Creek Community Club purchased the church building, moving it to a new site where it became the first Crystal Creek Hall.The congregation had likely folded or joined the Grande Prairie Baptists by this time.

Custodial History

The records were donated to Grande Prairie Public Library with the Isabel Campbell collection. In 2008 the Library donated them, as part of the Gerald V. Carveth collection, to South Peace Regional Archives.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of records related to the administration and activities of the Ladies Aid Society of the Deep Creek Baptist Church. The records include minutes, correspondence, and financial records dating from 1914 to 1917. The fonds is divided into two series: Minutes and Financial records.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Table of Contents

Series 385.01Minutes
Series 385.02Financial records
Series 385.01Minutes. — 1914-1917. — 1.5 cm.The series consists of a minute book kept by the Ladies Aid Society of Deep Creek Baptist Church from 1914 to 1917, loose minutes from 1917, and loose correspondence from 1916 and 1917. Minutes appear to have been taken at each meeting of the Ladies Aid, likely on loose sheets of paper, and then copied into the minute book at a later date. The minutes describe the operation of the meetings as well as the various activities the Ladies Aid engaged in. The correspondence relates to Ladies Aid activities. The loose minutes and correspondence were originally placed between the pages of the minute book and in the front cover of the Treasurer’s Account Book. These were removed by the Archivist and placed in a separate file folder in chronological order.
Series 385.02Financial records. — 1914-1917. — 1.5 cm.The series consists of a Treasurer’s Account Book kept by the Ladies Aid Society of Deep Creek Baptist Church from 1914 to 1917, a rough accounting note, loose postal notes from 1915 and 1916, and various loose receipts dating from ca. 1915 to 1917. The Treasurer’s Account Book contains a lists of receipts and expenditures for each year and a list of dues paid by each member. The receipts relate to supplies purchased by the Ladies Aid for use in their activities or to donations made by the Ladies Aid. The loose receipts, postal notes, and accounting note were originally placed between the pages and inside the covers of the Treasurer’s Account Book. These were removed by the Archivist and placed in a separate file.
Back to Table of Contents