Heart Valley School District 4356 fonds. — 1930-1954. — 8 cm of textual records.
The Heart Valley School was constructed during the winter of 1929-30 on three acres, SE of 15-76-3-W6, donated by Scotty McWhirter. Lumber was hauled from Spirit River and carpenters included E. Holmberg and Harper. The school consisted of one classroom, two cloakrooms and a small porch. The first trustees were Harold Peebles, Roland Butterwick and Howard Meadus. School opened in July, 1930, with Helen Stone as teacher and ten students. Teachers and supervisors came for short periods during the war years and in 1945 and 1946 the school was closed and students attended Westvale School, transported in winter by caboose and in summer by truck. In 1947 the school was reopened, until it closed permanently in 1954. Students were then bussed to Wanham. The school was used for social gatherings for a number of years.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a minute book from 1940, with Alex Edey, secretary/treasurer, and N.B. MacDonald, chairman. Daily registers from 1930-1954 were kept by the following teachers: Helen Stone, Alice Brown, Thelma Sobey, Mary Golden (Rowe), Alice McBride, J.M. Henderson, Sidney Macklin, Nina Sands, Edith Lee, Stafka Misunis, Jean Bryan, Nellie Cook (supervisor), Steffa Jakubowski (supervisor), and Nina Coone.