Hay Lake Bull Association fonds. — 1946-1961. — 1 cm of textual records.
Records indicate the Hay Lake Bull Association began in January, 1951, with President, Basil Peace; Secretary-Treas., Bert Cunningham; Director, Russell Wright; and Caretaker, Gordon Hurley. Virgil Pack, Knute Tveiten and Francis Fletcher also became members. The Dominion Department of Agriculture was prepared to loan bulls to these associations in order that farmers could better afford to improve their herds. Only bulls of superior breeding and type were purchased by the Department. The association, which had to have a minimum of five members, was responsible for the maintenance of the bulls with members sharing the costs.
These records were originally donated to the South Peace Centennial Museum in Beaverlodge and were transferred to the South Peace Regional Archives by Lori Dalgleish in November, 2008.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of applications for membership in the association and therefore the bull lending program set up by the Alberta Dept. of Agriculture; correspondence and agreements with the Dept. of Agriculture; the Bull Loaning Policy from Agriculture Canada (1946); and receipts from local merchants.