Halcourt Cemetery fonds. — 1922-2009. — 2 cm of textual records. — 2 maps.
The Halcourt cemetery was established at an organizational meeting on April 24, 1922, with the approval of board members Theodore Cleland, Thomas G. Cotton, William Dorin, Mrs. Bertha Chambers, and Thomas G. Chambers. The first burial was Mr. Bailey on January 27, 1924. The cemetery committee was responsible for selling plots, marking and digging the graves, record keeping and general maintenance of the cemetery. At a meeting in 1946, the cemetery committee consisting of F. Brewer, B.O. Cleland, and Art Funnell discussed a request for the municipality to take over the responsibility of the cemetery and to find out who was responsible for providing culverts to fix the approaches to the grounds.
Originally, the records were kept by Theodore Cleland, then Benjamin Cleland and then the Dahl family fom about 1960 on and donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by William and Josephine Dahl in 2011.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a cemetery record book including the minutes from the Halcourt Church Board of Trustees meeting of April 24, 1922, appointing trustees Theodore Cleland, Thomas G. Cotton, William Dorin, Bertha Chambers, Thomas G. Chambers; and minutes from a meeting of June 10, 1946, at Halcourt where F. Brewer, B.O. Cleland, and Art Funnell discuss “the matter of the Municipality taking over the Halcourt Cemetery”. Burials are recorded by date, or by family grouping. There is also a section containing names and payments for plots and remarks, and another section containing names of deceased, sex, age, date of death, date of burial, cause of death and officiating clergyman. Pages 148-152 records burials dated 1968-2009. Early pioneer family names appearing in the burial records include Funnell, Ingledew, McNaught, McEachern, Schenk, Cleland, Holmes, Churchman, Walker, and Booth. The last burial entry date recorded is in 2009. A newsclipping (undated) thanks Albert Hill, Larry Dahl, and Herman Kreiger for making wooden crosses to be used as markers, Fletcher Smith for the donation of lumber, and Bill Dahl and Peter McNaughton for setting the crosses in their places.
The fonds also contains two maps showing the locations of plots in the original Halcourt Cemetery and in the addition to the Cemetery (1954) with initials and names of plot occupants marked.