Goodwin Social Club fonds. — 1934-1972. — 4 cm of textual records.
The Goodwin Social Club appears to have been organized in 1934 with meetings and dances held in the home of Mr.X Vogelbacker. That same year, logs were cut to build a hall that also served as a school. Club memberships ($.25 a year) averaged 30-40 the first few years with main events being dances which always included lunch, the makings of which (bread, butter, milk) were brought from home and payment made from admission fees of $.25 per person. Pie socials were a popular addition to the lunch idea. Volunteer musicians were paid about $1 per instrument or per person for the evening and sometimes a limit was put on the number of musicians. During the 1930s meeting were held monthly usually followed by a dance. In the 1940s only yearly meetings were recorded but events grew to include monthly dances now featuring a piano, a summer picnic and Christmas Tree parties with bags of treats distributed to the children. In the 1950s and 1960s card parties were popular, also Halloween parties and bingo games and work on remodelling the hall was necessary. By the 1960s the club sponsored a queen candidate and float in the local parade; card parties were still popular as were holding raffles, and members dealt with getting power into the hall. In the 1970s new security measures were needed to ward off vandalism.
These records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Edith Moody in 2009.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of two mintue books (1934-1972) and two financial ledgers (1934-1971).