Fourth Creek School District 5044 fonds. — 1955-1965. — 7 cm of textual records.
The Fourth Creek School District was established in 1955 when the Spirit River School Division supplied materials and a carpenter for building a one-room school with living quarters attached, and a small stable. The school was built on the NE 22-81-8 W6 and was opened in November with 11 students. Vivian Haugland was the first supervisor and Mrs. Evelyn Lambert followed her from 1956-58. The first teacher was Mrs. Phyllis Hessler in 1958, followed by Martin Fritz and Pauline Halikowski. In 1961, the original Silver Valley School along with students were relocated to Fourth Creek. This meant two classrooms and two teachers and students bussed. In 1962, Mel and Jean Larsen operated the school and in 1963, Phyllis Hessler returned to be principal and Monica Torgerson taught grades 1-5. In 1964 another classroom was added (conversion of the unused atable) and Mrs. Lehman was principal with Miss Halikowski and Mrs Torgerson teachers.
The school closed at the end of 1965 and the buildings were moved to Savanna and then sold to Henry Hessler. The stable was donated to the Horseshoe of the Peace Historical Society to be used as a museum.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 16 Daily Registers from 1955-1965.