North Kleskun Community Club. — 1936-2002. — 19 cm of textual records. — 30 photographs.
The North Kleskun Community Club was established as the North Kleskun Community Association, with the first meeting in October 1936. Club members were residents of the Mount Star and North Kleskun School Districts. The original mandate of the club was the “furtherance of community life as a whole in a social way such as the encouragement of entertainments, theatrical, educational or purely social, as well as to stimulate athletic endeavors such as baseball, basketball, softball, football etc. in senior or junior clubs.” They structured the club like a stock company; people were able to buy stock for $6.00, or earn their stock through labor. The meetings were held in the hall and the club managed the hall events. Early shareholders were Joe Huber, Charles Pickering, Glen Morrison, E. C. Harding, Fred Steinke, H. G. Steeves, Clarence Steeves, Wm. Regan, Frank Campbell, John Arac, Michael Arac, J. Fitzpatrick, J. Donelen, Jock Donneley, G. H. Stewart, Patrick Healey, H. A. Gouchy, Walter Spry, Hugh Gillies, Alec Shand, Charles Shand, Sam Melnik and Mike Jaskew. The original minutes were lost in a house fire in the home of the Secretary-Treasurer, so in 1944 the minutes were re-written (to the best of members’ knowledge) into a new minute book by Gordon Harold Stewart.
The North Kleskun Community Association appears to have become defunct in the 1960’s, leading to the formation of the North Kleskun Athletic Club (although records are not available until the 1970’s for the Athletic Club). The club became very active as they made plans to build a new community hall. Construction on the new hall began in 1983 with members spending many hours helping. That same year the members voted to change the name to the North Kleskun Community Club. The new hall had its grand opening in 1984 and many events have been held there since. The people involved with the Club in the eighties included Bill Huber, Alvin Rode, Orval Sorken, Keith Barnfield, Ed Dedio, Marlene Steinnke, Ed Kulicki, Donna Huber, Terry Steinke, Ivan Steinke, John Gallagher, Gail Steinke and Art Mayer. The hall was built on the NW-3-74-4-W6. The hall has been used for Christmas and New Year’s Parties, social gatherings, meetings and events that foster community spirit.
The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Edward Rode on May 20, 2010. Mr. Rode was the secretary-treasurer of the North Kleskun Community Association. The second group of records was deposited by Gail Steinke on July 8, 2010. Gail was a member of the North Kleskun Community Club.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minute books, financial records, correspondence, annual returns, grant files, records relating to the North Kleskun Athletic Club, insurance and tax records, and records relating to the Kleskun Community Hall. There are also 30 color photographs taken at various events at the community hall between 1983-1990.
Title based on the contents of the series.
There was no discernable original order in the records when they arrived. Order was imposed by the archivist based on the content of the records.
Information for the Administrative History was taken from the minute books.
Accession No.: 2010.35 & 2010.25
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Related records: North Klusken Ladies Club.
Table of Contents
|Series 542.02||Financial Records|
|Series 542.04||Annual Returns|
|Series 542.06||North Kleskun Athletic Club|
|Series 542.07||Insurance and Taxes|
|Series 542.08||Community Hall|
|Series 542.01||Minutes. — 1936-1996. — 5 cm of textual records.The series consists a minute book from 1936-1955, minutes from 1980-1987 (including membership lists and the incorporation certificate of the club), and minutes from 1988-1996 which include membership lists. There is also a list of shareholders for 1936-1940 and financial information from 1936-1955.|
|Series 542.02||Financial Records. — 1936-2002. — 7 cm of textual records.The series consists of a receipt book 1936-1937, receipts 1980-1983, hall bookings, a ledger 1983-1995, 3 bank books 1979-1984 and bank statements 1983-2000.|
|Series 542.03||Correspondence. — 1984-1986.|
|Series 542.04||Annual Returns. — 1984-2000.The series consists of annual returns filed by the society in 1984-1987, 1989-1993, 1996-1997, and 2000.|
|Series 542.05||Grants. — 1983-1984. — 2.5 cm of textual records.The series consists of records from the club applying for and receiving grants to build the Community Hall from 1983-1995.|
|Series 542.06||North Kleskun Athletic Club. — 1975-1998. — 0.5 cm of textual records.|
The series consists of a notebook containing players list for baseball games held in 1975, and a poster that lists member’s names from a reunion held in 1998.
|Series 542.07||Insurance and Taxes. — 1982-2001. — 2 cm of textual records.|
The series consists of insurance papers 1983-2001 and tax records 1982-2001.
|Series 542.08||Community Hall. — 1945-2002. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of a certificate of use for an entertainment hall 1945, plans for the development of the new hall 1983, certificate of title 1980, permit to build a kitchen 1983, permit for a storage shelter 1988, photocopies of four plaques that are thank yous to various organizations or people, 3 newspaper clippings about North Kleskun happenings, a certificate of appreciation presented to the hall for supporting the 4-H program in Sexsmith and a list of North Kleskun Community Club members. There is also a series of 30 photographs of the building of the hall, the hall’s grand opening and events hosted at the hall.|