Flying Shot Lake School District 3399 fonds. — 1916-1938. — 1 cm of textual records.
Flying Shot School was originally a low log building on the Clifford place, opened in The first Flying Shot School was a low log building on the Clifford place opened in 1917. The building was hospital and home to Reverand and Mrs. Forbes and had also served as the courthouse in Grande Prairie. Flying Shot Lake was originally an Aboriginal settlement and there were Aboriginal children who attended the school at the time.
Miss MacDonald and Miss Jeanette McPhee taught at the first Flying Shot School. In 1920, a new school building was built west of the old school site on Dan Owen’s land. The first teacher in the new school was Miss Marian Morrison.
In 1948, the Flying Shot area formed a new school district west and south of the Flying Shot School to accommodate the growing population. The new school district was known as “Lucky Tree”. At this time, the Flying Shot School was moved east again onto land donated by Mr. Howes, close to the original site. After the move, teachers were Mrs. Pam Tissington, Mrs. Rimbey, and Mrs. Helen Tissington. Flying Shot School closed in 1956.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minute recording board meetings for 1916 through 1938.