Farm Women’s Union of Alberta, Canuck Local 105, fonds. — 1951-1977. — 6 cm of textual records.
The Farm Women’s Union of Alberta was organized in 1949, a re-organization of United Farm Women of Alberta. The aim of the FWUA was a prosperous agriculture community, with the amenities of modern living for every member of the farm family. It’s objectives were to work as farm women, cooperating with the men and juniors to attain the objectives of the Farmers Union of Alberta; to obtain improved educational, health and welfare services for the farm family and the total rural community; to promote a continuing education program for farm women; to develop citizenship and leadership by supporting all branches of the FUA, especially youth activities and 4-H; and to strive for international peace through affiliation with the Associated Country Women of the World. The FWUA also involved itself with political action regarding changes to divorce laws and revision of the Estate Tax Act and Income Tax Act to benefit farm women.
The Canuck Local 105 was formed c. 1958, possibly from the base of the Bear Lake Women’s Community Club. In 1970, the FWUA became Women of Unifarm.
Records were accessioned at the Grande Prairie Regional Archives with a collection from Pierre and Dora Lozeron. Dora Lozeron was the Secretary-Treasurer of Canuck Local during the 50s and 60s.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a deposit book for the Farm Women’s Union of Alberta for 1951-1963 (which includes deposits for the Bear Lake Women’s Community Club); the Treasurer’s record from 1961-1967; minutes from 1965-1969; the report from a 1968 convention in Clairmont and a handicraft list for the 1969 convention; constitution, by-laws and policy booklets and circulars from Farmer’s Union of Alberta from 1962 to 1977.