Clark School District 4590 fonds. — 1932-1955. — 5 cm of textual records.
The first meeting of the Board of the Clark School District was in February, 1932, with Mr. Quick elected chairman and H.A. Mattson elected secretary/treasurer. In June, 1932, a vote determined the postponing the building of a school for a year. In 1933 a site was selected on the NE –27-79-13-W6, and in 1934 David French was hired as teacher for $600 per annum. Although records show the school under construction during the next few years, a temporary building was rented in 1936. In 1937, Miss McNaught resigned as teacher and Mrs. Sadie Clark hired. Miss Wood was hired in 1940. In June, 1941 after a fire in the school, a vacant house on O. Gullberg’s place was used as a temporary school. A new school was built from squared timbers Mr. Jack Lowe had not been able to use for a house. In 1945-46, due to a lack of a teacher, Jim Hodgeson transported students to Bonanza in the back of his truck or by sleigh in winter.
Clark school was permanently closed in 1955 and students bussed to Bonanza School.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a minute book from 1932-1941 and daily attendance registers from 1944-1955, three inspector’s reports from 1938-40, a tax consolidation agreement and a letter regarding grants. Daily registers were kept by the following teachers or supervisors: Agnes Bernard, Alice Patnode, E. Spread, Evelyn Smith, Vera York, Louise Rossiter, R.B. Hemphill.