City of Grande Prairie Council sous-fonds. — 1914-1999. — 474 cm of textual records. — 179 photographs.
The first meeting of the ratepayers of the Village of Grande Prairie was on June 1, 1914. John B. Taft, William H. Smith and Sylvestor Bowen were elected to the village council with J.B. Taft as Reeve. At the next meeting, on July 6, the first two by-laws were given first reading. So the basis of the government of Grande Prairie was formed.
In the next two years, the village increased in population, and in 1916, 200 acres were annexed by the town. In 1917, for the first time, duties were divided into departments: Finance, police and licensing; Fire, water and light; and Road and sidewalks.
By the time Grande Prairie achieved town status in 1919 with a population of 1040, there were already 23 by-laws on the books. Now the three councilors were increased to seven. Mayor G.A. James was elected. In 1921 a new town hall was built in conjunction with the fire hall on the north west corner of 101 Street and 101 Avenue. A replica of this building can be seen at the Grande Prairie Museum. This town hall served for the next 40 years, while the population more than quadrupled.
After W.W.II, the population increased rapidly: from 1,700 in 1942 to 4,000 in 1950. This was the period when many public buildings were erected: Grande Prairie High School, Wapiti Lodge, the Memorial Arena, the Grande Prairie Municipal Office and the School Division Office. New developments in tune with this period of growth were the start of senior citizens residences and the approval of the first large apartment complex.
By the time Grande Prairie became a city in 1958, the population was 8000. Now council was composed of mor and ___ aldermen. Soon discussion began on building a new City Hall. This became a necessity when the current offices burned to the ground in 1961, and the new City Hall was built on the same site in 1962.
In the year 2000, with a population of over 37,000, Grande Prairie is served by a council of mayor and 9 aldermen. The 1962 City Hall was outgrown in the late 80s, and municipal operations were moved into the old Provincial building. Once again the city is looking at options for new quarters.
The City of Grande Prairie Council sous-fonds is retained at City Hall.
Scope and Content
The sous-fonds consists of the Minutes and By-laws of the Village, Town and City of Grande Prairie as well as photographs of mayors and aldermen from 1957 to 1983.
Source of Title: Title based on the contents of the records.
Source of Acquisitions: City of Grande Prairie.
Charles Spencer Collection at the Grande Prairie Public Library
Repository: City of Grande Prairie Corporate Archives.
Table of Contents
|Series 455.01||Council Minutes|
|Series 455.02||Council by-laws|
|Series 455.03||City of Grande Prairie Photograph collection|
|Series 455.01||Council Minutes. — 1918-1998. — 304 cm of textual records.The Minutes are the records of decisions made by town or city councils and committees formed by actions of those councils.The series consists of Town and City Council Minutes, which include minutes of council meetings, sub-committees and special projects, lists of accounts, financial statements, assessment information summaries, tenders, applications, petitions, hearings, and destruction certificates. Also included are the minutes of the Grande Prairie Local Board of Health, Annual Ratepayers Meetings, the Municipal Planning Commission, the Civic Cultural Committee, the Central Business District Downtown Redevelopment Committee, the Technical Advisory Committee, Executive Committee, City Centre Task Force, and Computer User Coordinators Committee.|
|Series 455.02||Council by-laws. — 1914-1998. — 170 cm of textual records.By-laws passed by town or city council regulate traffic, business operations, animal care, noise, weeds on private property, untidy premises, etc.The series consists of By-Laws of General Application, Repealed By-Laws and Borrowing By-Laws. By-Laws are indexed by number and title at the beginning of each volume.|
|Series 455.03||City of Grande Prairie Photograph collection. — 1958-1971. — 179 photographs.The series consists of a photograph album with individual 4 x 5 portraits of mayors and alderman from 1957-1983. There are also 11 mats sized 16 x 20 with the same style of portraits, one for each year from 1958 to 1971, and one 20 x 24 mat with 5 x 7 portraits of the council members in 1958, the year when Grande Prairie became a city.|