Cherry Point School District 4721 fonds. — 1936-1958. — 8 cm of textual records.
The Cherry Point School District was located north of the Peace River, and was later included in Spirit River School Division 47 because transportation routes linked it to the Spirit River area (via Dawson Creek) but not yet to Fairview, the school division north of the Peace.
The first school in Cherry Point started in Elmer Andrews’ home in 1936 with Mrs. Elwood Craig as teacher. By 1937, 17 students were registered, and by 1938-39 there was a new log school. In 1958, the consolidated district of Clear River was formed, and in 1959 a new school was built west of Bear Canyon store, in between the two districts. For a year, the older children went to Bear Canyon and the younger children went to Cherry Point and then they were all moved into the new school in 1960. The old schools were moved to the site to be used as teacherages. In 1960, Fairview School Division took over responsibility for this district.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The series consists of 13 Daily Registers from 1937-1958. Teachers included Vera Sutherland, Mrs. P. Craig, Miss L. Beales, Nicholas Zakordonski, Steve Dubetz, Bertha Macklin, Anna Maxwell (1942-1954), Martin Fritz, Lois Green, Marina Campbell, and Lois Erickson.