Canor School District 3955 fonds. — 1922-1938. — 1 cm of textual records.
Canor (Canadian-Norwegian) School District was located east of LaGlace and north west of Sexsmith. It was organized c. 1920, and school taught for a few months in a vacant house. From 1920-1928 the students attended Chatham until a school was built in the Canor District. They travelled to Chatham in a school van, a covered sleigh. In 1928, the school was constructed by Ed Loven and Powell.
Teachers included Miss B. Hallet (Mrs. J.C. Lawrence), Miss Benson, Miss Comfort, Daisey Albers, Miss Willis, Miss E. Cochrane, Miss M. Poppin, Mr. T.E. Shannon, Miss Pow, Harriet Wallace, Miss O. Prevost, Miss L. Burton, Phyllis Clarke, Mrs. Tinchuk, Mary Sereda, Miss R. Roberts, Miss D. Longson, Ethel Hoflin, and Irene Samuelson.
Canor School operated until 1949, when the one-room schools in the area were consolidated to Sexsmith and LaGlace.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one book of school board minutes.