Canadian Legion Auxiliary, Wanham, fonds. — 1950 – 1978. — 7 cm of textual records.
Canadian Legion Auxiliary of Wanham was formed in 1950, with Mrs. E. J. Harrington elected as president, Mrs. Jean Tansem as vice-president, Mrs. Wanio as 2nd vice-president, and Mrs. McSweeney as secretary-treasurer. Its purpose was to aid the Wanham Legion in acknowledging war veterans and keeping a remembrance of their contribution to the world alive in the community. The Auxiliary met in the homes of members, and later in the Wanham Hall. They participated in Legion drives, such as canvassing for the Polio Fund in the 50s, attended area rallys, and did hospital visits. They raised funds to support community clubs of all kinds, to sponsor a language bursary for a grade 9 going on to high school, and to put on social activities for legion members.
The records were entrusted to Wally Tansem by Mrs. E.J. (Helen) Harrington when they left the community of Wanham. Mr. Tansem donated them to the archives in March 2000.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1950-1978, and a receipt book for the same years showing donations to the Auxiliary and from the Auxiliary to the Legion.
Table of Contents
|Series 015.02||Financial Records|