Fonds 126 Buffalo Lake School District 3144 fonds

Buffalo Lake School District 3144 fonds. — 1925-1942. — 16 cm of textual records.


Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

Buffalo Lake School District was organized in 1914 but not acted upon for the next few years. The first Buffalo Lake School was built in 1918, and classes started that fall. Except for a period from June 1925 – February 1927 when there was no school, this building served the community until 1929, when a new school was built. Teachers included Mrs. George Wilson, Miss C. Smith (Mrs. L. Heiken), Miss Bohn, Miss Alice Sutherland, Miss M. Quail, Miss Della Finlay, Miss Lila MacDiarmid, Miss Mary McDonald, Mrs. Bessant, Mrs. Russell, Miss J. Hutson, and Mrs. Della Maple. Miss Clarice Wold, Miss S. Sutherland and Miss Pfau served as supervisors when teachers were not available.

Until 1937, when Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 was organized, the Board of Directors was responsible for all the physical aspects and day to day operations of running the school. They assessed property, collected the taxes, built the school, hired the teachers, and maintained both buildings and operations. The correspondence and financial records generated while carrying out these activities was considerable.

In 1929, a new school was built at Buffalo Lake, replacing the old log school which then became the stable. Carpenters were Olaf Bue and Andrew Oilund. Children from Manysprings School District also attended Buffalo Lake School District while waiting for their school to be built. The last year the school operated was 1948, and then in 1949 the school building was moved to LaGlace.

Custodial History

The records were kept by Berger Maple, a long-time member of the Buffalo Lake School Board. They passed into the possession of Stanley Moe who donated them to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2002.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of correspondence, financial records and publications kept by the Buffalo Lake School District Board in the course of its activities. Included in the publications are the General Regulations of the Department of Education in Alberta in 1934 with copies of Legislation, such as the School Act, which applied to schools.

Table of Contents

Series 126.01Correspondence
Series 126.02Financial records
Series 126.03Publications
Series 126.01Correspondence. — 1927-1942. — 9 cm of textual records.

The series consists of the correspondence the school board dealt with in its day to day operations of the school. Included are building specifications and records for the new school in 1929; year end reports from both trustees and teachers; census records for the students; inspector’s reports; financial statements; grant statements; insurance policies; school tax correspondence and tax returns; agreements between teachers and board; letters from parents; correspondence with the school division; circulars and communiques from the Department of Education; book and supply orders; and other miscellaneous correspondence.

Series 126.02Financial records. — 1920-1937. — 7 cm of textual records.

The series consists of an Assessment and Tax Roll for Rural Schools from 1925-1928, a bank book from 1925-1936, tax receipt books from 1920 to 1935, returned cheques from 1926 to 1936, and deposit books from 1931 to 1937.

Series 126.03Publications. — 1932-1939. — 2 cm of textual records.

The series consists of copies of The School Act (1931; 1934) including The School Assessment Act, The Tax Recovery Act, The School Grants Act, The School Attendence Act and General Regualations of the Department of Education. Also included is a 1930 Alberta School Trustees’ Association Annual report, a 1936 amendment to the 1931 School Act, Alberta Gazette listings of appointed auditors, and a description of a Modern School c. 1930.