Blueberry Mountain School District 4106 fonds. — 1931-1957. — 13 cm of textual records.
According to Estella Esselink’s record in The Big Bend, Blueberry Mountain School began here in 1929, with Miss Jean Walker, teacher. Minutes of a trustees meeting June 20, 1931 record the reappointment of W.M. Wood as chairman and Mrs. Minnie Wood, secretary/treasurer. Teachers in the 1930s include Miss Walker, Miss Yoder, Miss Comer and Miss Jones, Helen Boadway, Irene Schieck and E.V. Coykendall. In 1933, the board requested from the Department of Education a list of teachers willing to accept positions at an annual rate of $500. due to their poor financial position. Attendance figures often determined when school would close and the teacher often was asked to make the decision. By 1936, one student was attending Spirit River School and the district paid her tuition.
A new school and barn was built in 1937 on land donated by Mr. Dewey Keebler. The work was accomplished over a number of years and many families contributed labour in exchange for payment on back taxes owing. Teachers in the 1940s included Irene Godberson, Louise Martin, Betty Hopkins, Olive G. Holmberg, Hattie Carder, Dorothy Lilge, Madge.Smyth, Miss Carvell. In the 1950s teachers included Melba Cyr, Joan Bayers, Stella Brett, Estella Esselink, Mr. W. G. Marles, William Konapelka, Melba Peg and Mrs. Maxwell.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book from 1931-1940 and Daily Registers from 1930 to 1957.