Blooming Valley School District # 3912. — 1930-1953. — 0.2 cm of textual records.
Blooming Valley School opened in 1920, in a vacant bachelor shack, with Talbert Ronning from Valhalla as the first teacher. The school house was built in 1921 on SW 3-75-9 W6 through community effort. Mrs. Mills was the first teacher in the new school. Later a barn was added. Through the 1930s, school district minutes show the school could only afford to operate for 4-6 months at a time and tax levies often went unpaid or were paid by doing work such as cleaning or repairing the school house. At its height, there were 24 children at Blooming Valley School, but in 1953 only 6 children remained enrolled so the school was closed and the children bussed to Valhalla. Teachers at Blooming Valley included Ada Fuller, Jessie Erskine, Dorothy Peck, Ardys Allan, Florence Smith, Myrtle Johnson, Anne Hrehircheck, Vera Ruptash, Cora Ventress, Ruby Fredrickson, Judith Erickson, Alice Pfau, Ralph Cook, Rae Dolemo, Belle Stewart Wallace and Vera Severson.
The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by Mildred Carlstad, in 2003. Her husband, Alvin Carlstad was a trustee when the school closed in 1953.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 18 pages of minutes of the Blooming Valley School District including decisions for payments made, dates for school terms, taxes levied, names of trustees elected, and an accounts payable page for Miss J. Erskine.