Fonds 397 Avery and Ida Winchell fonds

Avery and Ida Winchell fonds. — [1913-1958]. — 15 photographs.


Back to Finding Aids

Biographical Sketch

Ida was born in 1883 and became the bride of Avery Winchell in 1901 and taken to a homestead in South Dakota. In 1904 they moved to an area 20 miles south of Ainsworth. On May7, 1913, they and another couple came north and after 6 weeks on the Edson Trail squatted on land one mile north of Spirit River. They lived in a sod shack for the winter and hauled logs for a house and barn. After several small houses, in 1926 they built a big house. In 1940, the couple sold their farm to Jessie and Kester Lillico and built a house in Spirit River. Avery passed away in 1943 in Spirit River and Ida remained there and became “Granny” to the Lillico children, worked in her garden and was very active in the United Church. She died November 22, 1963.

Custodial History

The records were doanated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Bonnie Flintoff in 2009.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of a letter Ida wrote to her relatives in the USA in 1962, 15 photographs of Dunvegan Mission, Spirit River, Ave and Ida Winchell and their homes on the farm and in Spirit River, Wesminister United Church in Spirit River and the Grande Prairie Kathryn Prittie Hospital.

Notes

 

 
Winchell Farm House – First and Second, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
The first and second log home on the Winchell farm. Two men and two women stand in front of “the west end of our old house.”
Location: 0397.01
Roman Catholic Mission – Dunvegan, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
The Roman Catholic Mission at Dunvegan. Photograph from Rev. R.F. Thompson, Spirit River
Location: 0397.02
Manse Stable at Spirit River, [1913]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The manse stable at Spirit River.
Location: 0397.03
Dunvegan, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The Peace River at Dunvegan showing the mission from the opposite shore.
Location: 0397.04
Spirit River, 1917
1 photograph postcard; b & w; 4 x 6
Spirit River as a village in 1918. Photo by J. Martinos, Griffin Creek.
Location: 0397.05
Presbyterian Hospital, Grande Prairie, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 5
Presbyterian Hospital, named the Kathryn Prittie Hospital built in Grande Prairie in 1914. The Prittie family of Ontario, gave a major donation for the building of this hospital in memory of their daughter, Kathryn.
Location: 0397.06
Ladies Aid at Spirit River, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Ladies Aid group at Spirit River pose for a photo: Third from left Miss Margaret Henderson, Ida Winchell, ?, ?, Mrs. Lowe.
Location: 0397.07
Avery and Ida Winchell, [1935]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Avery (Abe) holding a small girl and Ida Winchell standing beside their home.
Location: 0397.08
Newly Built Winchell House in Spiriti River, (1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7
The Winchells sold their farm and built a home in Spirit River in 1940.
Location: 0397.09
Winchell House on the Farm, [1930]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The Winchell’s house on the farm was built in 1926. The white house and barn with the red roof respected the Quaker tradition. They sold their farm and built a home in Spirit River in 1940.
Location: 0397.10
Winchell House in Spiriti River, (1945]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The Winchells sold their farm and built a home in Spirit River in 1940.
Location: 0397.11
Avery and Ida Winchell Ready to Travel, 1937
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The Winchells used a modified “Bennett Buggy” drawn by their horses, Gracie and Silver. Photo taken in front of the chicken house,
Location: 0397.12
Mrs. Ida Winchell, [1950]
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 2
Mrs. Ida Winchell
Location: 0397.13
Mrs. Ida Winchell Crocheting, 1958
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3
Mrs. Ida Winchell crocheting a tablecloth made by joining round medallions.
Location: 0397.14
Westminster United Church, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Wextminster United church, built in 1916.
Location: 0397.15
Back to Top