Arnold R. Murray, M.D. fonds. — 1959 – 1980; 1999. — 10 cm of textual records.
Back to Finding Aids
Dr. Arnold Murray, having been born and raised in Calgary and received his medical degree from the University of Alberta, came to Grande Prairie in 1956 to join the practice of Dr. Lionel Dobson. These two doctors were later joined by Dr. Harold Payne, Dr. Colin Campbell-Fowler and Dr. Torquhil Matheson to form the Dobson Associate Medical Clinic, with a clinic and laboratory in the Peace Building on the corner of 101 St. and 101 Ave.
As a physician, Dr. Murray was a member of the Medical Staff at the Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital. He was active in supporting proposals for the expansion of medical services of all kinds in the Grande Prairie area. In the early 1960s, with Rev. D. Frame of the United Church, he initiated the Family Services Association, which was designed to meet the practical and counseling needs for family under stress. He also promoted the creation of a private regional medical laboratory in the Peace Country, and participated in planning for the new Queen Elizabeth II hospital.
The clinic disassociated in 1972, and Dr. Murray later retired to the city of Calgary.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of two manuals necessary to Medical Staff members of the Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital–the Bylaws of Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital and the Medical Services Incorporated Manual; the minutes, lab manual and opening speech for the Dobson Medical Clinic, and letters regarding the dispersal of its equipment upon closure; a proposal for a private regional medical laboratory; the Directory of Community Services in the Peace River Region published by the Family Services Association; and the Final Sketch Design Report for the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Grande Prairie.
Table of Contents
|Series 029.01||Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital. — 1959 – 1966. — 3 cm of textual records.Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital was the city health centre at the time Dr. Murray was practicing, and he was a member of its Medical Staff. Among the manuals that were necessary for a staff member at that time was the new set of by-laws, passed by the hospital board after the 1959 addition of the new maternity third floor to the hospital, to govern the conduct of physicians in the hospital. Another was the Medical Services Incorporated (MSI) agreement with physicians practicing in Alberta. “The MSI was an independent, non profit insurance organization, sponsored by the Alberta Medical Association, to provide insurance to the citizens of Alberta to cover the costs of physician medical, obstetrical and surgical services…. It covered 90% of the Alberta population, but only 60% of the population of the Peace River Country…” (from Explanatory Notes by Dr. Murray) The series consists of two manuals: the “Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital Medical Staff By-Laws Rules and Regulations” and the “Medical Services (Alberta) Incorporated Physician’s Manual.”|
|Series 029.02||Dobson Associate Medical Clinic. — 1959 – 1984. — 3 cm of textual records.Dobson Associate Medical Clinic was the first medical clinic in the Peace River Country. At its inception, members were three doctors (Drs. Lionel Dobson, Arnold Murray and Harold Payne) and two independent practitioners (Drs. D. Torquhil Matheson and Colin Campbell-Fowler). It operated in the Peace Building, and included a private laboratory and X-ray facility subsidized by the clinic. In 1970, the clinic was amalgamated with the Bachus Stojan Clinic, and in 1972 the partnerships were dissolved. The series consists of the minutes of meetings for the planning of the original clinic, Dr. Dobson’s speech at the opening of the clinic, the clinic’s lab manual, an inventory of equipment upon disassociation, and correspondence regarding donating the equipment to the Grande Prairie Regional College. It also includes a 1973 submission to the Alberta Department of Health in support of a private regional medical laboratory and a 1984 proposal to renovate the Peace Building into the Grande Prairie Public Library.|
|Series 029.03||Family Services Association. — 1960. — 2 cm of textual records.Around 1960, a Family Services Association was formed in Grande Prairie, with Dr. Murray and Rev. D. Frame from the United Church chairing the initial meeting. The purpose of the organization was to lobby for social services for families in need and to inform these families of the social services that were available to them.The series consists of a copy of the “Directory of Community Services for Grande Prairie and Peace River Country.” The directory was compiled by Mrs. LaVon MacDonald, the office manager of the Dobson Associate Medical Clinic.|
|Series 029.04||Queen Elizabeth II Hospital. — 1980. — 1 cm of textual records.When it was decided that a new, regional hospital should be built in Grande Prairie, the government of Alberta agreed to spend 13 million dollars. Architects were Graham and Associates of Calgary, and it was to be a monument to the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 1980. The first sketch design was rejected as being too radical and the board was instructed to bring back a more traditional design that would find favour with doctors, nurses and the department. The second design was rejected as being too traditional, but a third more contemporary design was accepted and is the basis for the present hospital.The series consists of the first sketch design which was rejected by the department of Health as being too radical.|
|Series 029.05||Explanatory Notes to Collection. — 1999. — 0.1 cm of textual records.When Dr. Murray brought the documents into the archives, he promised a letter of explanation of their contents as a background for their understanding. The letter followed the donation and contains explanatory notes, examples of illustration and memories of his activities as a physician in Grande Prairie.The series consists of a 5 page letter, dated July 26, 1999.|
Back to Table of Contents