[ca. 1960]. — 1 video recordings.
The Eaglesham Board of Trade (also known as the Chamber of Commerce) was an informal group of concerned businessmen in Eaglesham most active during the 1950s and 1960s. As the Agricultural Society became more active and had overlapping responsibilities with the Board of Trade, the Board of Trade virtually disappeared by the late 1960s.
One of the key projects of the Board of Trade was a community filming/documentation project conducted around 1960. The three men most associated with this project were Joe McDaid, George Meunier, and Tom Lessard. Joe McDaid was Eaglesham’s first postmaster, serving as such for 32 years. He also had a small grocery store at one time. George Meunier was manager of the Co-op store from 1946-1949 and in 1951 he opened his own store, George’s Lumber and Hardware. He also operated a Cockshutt dealership and took over the Imperial in 1954. He dabbled in real estate after his retirement in 1962. Tom Lessard was a “jack of all trades”. He was a part-time electrician, had the first light plant in Eaglesham, was a meter man for a few years after the town purchased the plant, and operated an auto repair shop. Tom Lessard was also Eaglesham’s first mayor.
Records were given to Morris Burroughs by Anne Donaldson and deposited in the Archives in 2000. The film was originally taken by members of the Eaglesham community for the local Board of Trade/Chamber of Commerce. It is one of a set of several films now lost.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a reel of 16 mm silent film taken in the Eaglesham area and on the Lassiter Project.
Table of Contents
|Series 448.01||Community Film Project|
|Series 448.01||Community Film Project. — [ca. 1960]. — 1 video recordings.The series consists of 16 mm silent film taken in the Eaglesham area and on the Lassiter Project as part of a Board of Trade project to document community life.|