County of Grande Prairie Council. — 1948-1952. — 4 cm of textual records.
In the late 1940s, the council of the Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 127 “approached the Department of Municipal Affairs suggesting that a form of the County system be tried.” (County of Grande Prairie No. 1 50th Anniversary Special Edition, Daily Herald Tribune) The County Act became law on July 1, 1950 and the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 was incorporated on January 1, 1951, the first and largest county in the province of Alberta. On February 22, 1951, eleven councilors were elected to the County of Grande Prairie: Lewis Hawkes, M.D. Kehr, G.R. Johnson, Bob Rycroft, Tom Warden, Alex Novlesky, Bernard Liland, Percy Johnson, Ed Williamson, A.E. Hawksworth, and James Smith. The first council meeting was held on March 8, 1951 and M.D. Kehr was elected chair.
The records were transferred to South Peace Regional Archives by the County of Grande Prairie in 2013.
Scope and Content
The sous-fonds consists of the minutes of the County of Grande Prairie and the Municipal Committee. The minutes also include Orders in Council and Ministerial Order establishing the County, accounts, monthly statements, borrowing resolutions, estimates and budget reports, agreements, oaths of office, Prairie Farm Assistance applications, summaries of election results, correspondence, recommendations of public works to be undertaken and roadwork maps, and occasionally School Committee financial records.
Title based on the contents of the sous-fonds.