This posting is now closed. All candidates have been contacted. Thank you for your interest in the Archives Technician position.
South Peace Regional Archives is seeking applicants for the position of Archives Technician on a part-time basis from 1 November 2017 – 27 April 2018.
The purpose of the South Peace Regional Archives is to gather, preserve, and share the historical records of municipalities, organizations, businesses, families and individuals within the region, both now and in the future. These records reflect the personal, cultural, social, economic, and political life of the South Peace River area of Alberta and are in all formats and media, including textual records, maps, plans, drawings, photographs, film and sound recordings.
The Archives Technician contributes to that purpose by processing archival records so that they are available for public research, and by providing public education regarding the importance of archives. The Archives Technician may be required to assist researchers, volunteers, associated organizations, and archives staff with projects and other duties, as assigned. The Archives Technician works with the Archivist and reports to the Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: An ideal candidate for this position would demonstrate:
- Relevant training or experience in a related discipline.
- Willingness to train in archival theory as courses are available.
- Familiarity with primary historical research techniques, trends, and awareness of the needs of disciplines that utilize archival sources.
- Awareness of Canadian and Alberta history, political climate, and social context in which records were created.
- Strong organizational, communication, analytical and research skills.
- Interpersonal skills as a team member with staff, volunteers, members of the public, outside organizations and other stakeholders.
- Good conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- A strong aptitude for independent decision making and acting with initiative.
- Strong organizational, communication, and analytical skills.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds frequently, such as boxes of archival documents
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Wage Range: $17.68 – $23.34 per hour (commensurate with education and experience)
Hours and Availability: 10 – 15 hours per week (to be determined) during the Archives’ hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm). During special events, the Archives Technician may be required to work outside of these hours, with notice.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to South Peace Regional Archives Executive Director, Alyssa Currie, at director@SouthPeaceArchives.org no later than September 26th 2017. Interviews will take place October 5th – 6th 2017.
The South Peace Regional Archives is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and others who may contribute to the diversity of our organization.