Eva Scott was born Eva Kenneway. Her mother was one of nine children born to David and Mrs. Whyte who had emigrated from Scotland. They settled in the Wembley area where David worked in the mines at Millarston and Dimsdale becoming the foreman for the Schnieder Mine and the Tissington Mine. Eva went to school at Mountain Springs School for a short while before the family moved to Grande Prairie. Iin 1968 she married Bill Scott. Eva became a teacher and taught in Grande Prairie for many years. Bill had a long career at the Herald Tribune and both Eva and Bill were involved in community music and drama groups and Grande Prairie’s Highland Games.
The Scotts have three boys.
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Bill and Eva Scott in 2007.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a Coal Mines Examiners Certificate and photo belonging to Eva’s grandfather, David Whyte, a Mountain Springs School Reunion booklet and photograph, photographs of Eva, as teacher, with her school classes, photographs of Grande Prairie-aerials and buildings, the Highland Games, and music events, and miscellaneous records related to Bill’s career with the Herald Tribune
Eva Kenneway Scott. — 1937-1985. — 1 cm of textual records. — 8 photographs.The series consists of a Coal Mines Examiners Certificate and photo belonging to Eva’s grandfather, David Whyte, a Mountain Springs School Reunion booklet and photograph, photographs of Eva, as teacher, with her school classes, and a “Favorite Recipes” book printed by the Grande Prairie and District Association for the Retarded Children, 1955-1976.
Wapiti Coal Miners, 1937 1 photograph; b & w; 2.5 x 3.5 Four coal miners stand by a coal shed. One man is likely David Whyte. Location: 0347.01.01
Mountain Springs School Reunion, 1985 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 Eva (Kenneway) Scott on the right talks to two older men at the Mountain Springs School reunion.The school started in 1935. Location: 0347.01.02
Peace School of Hope Students and Teachers, 1968-1969 3 photograph; colour; 5 x 7 The Peace School of Hope students in total and individual classes taught by Eva (Kenneway) Scott on the right in one photo and Mrs. Iris Pollock, principal of the School in another. Location: 0347.01.03-.05
Peace School of Hope in Parade, 1969 1 photograph; colour; 4 x 6 The Peace School of Hope students with teacher Eva Scott ride in and on a decorated car for the Grande Prairie County Fair Parade. Location: 0347.01.06
St Patrick’s School Staff, 1981-1982 1 photograph; colour; 5 x 7 The teaching staff of St. Patrick’s Catholic School, Grande Prairie, 1981-1982. Eva is in the middle row, third from the left. Location: 0347.01.07
Montrose Junior High School, 1990 c. 1 photograph/postcard; colour; 3 x 5 Montrose Junior High School where Eva Scott taught. Location: 0347.01.08
Bill Scott – Herald Tribune. — 1937-1989. — 1 photographs.The series consists of media passes (1970 &1995), a 1971 songsheet and 1971 news article, a photograph of the fire of 1982-83, “The Class of ’86”, a yearbook of the staff, and an invitation and typed speech for the Herald Tribune 25th Anniversary “Celebration Dinner” in 1989, and an invitation to CFGP’s 50th Anniversary “Nostalgia Ball” in 1987.
Herald Tribune Fire, 1982-1983 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 The Grande Prairie Herald Tribune building suffered a fire that destroyed this office equipment. Location: 0347.02.01
Bill and Eva Scott – Personal Papers and Photos. — 1969-1995. — 19 photographs.The series consists of 1 aerial photograph of Grande Prairie during the early 1970s when the Grande Prairie Regional College was being built, 8 aerials of various views of Grande Prairie’s Bear Creek valley in 1995, 1 photograph of 3 new houses along an unpaved street, a building permit a bowling membership card and an application for cable telelvision service.
Grande Prairie Regional College Under Construction, 1982-1983 1 photograph; colour; 4 x 6 Grande Prairie Regional College, designed by Douglas Cardinal, under construction. Location: 0347.03.01
Grande Prairie Aerials, 1995 8 photographs; colour; 4 x 6 Aerial photographs of Grande Prairie showing development along Bear Creek, the reservoir and Muskoseepi Park and the south side of the city including Swanavon School. Location: 0347.03.02-09
Bill Scott’s Newly Built Home, 1971 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 Three newly constructed houses along a new street in Grande Prairie. Bill Scott’s house is on the left. Location: 0347.03.10
Santa Parade, 1980c. 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 Bill and Eva Scott seen here with the Ma Pa Band on a Santa Parade Float. Location: 0347.03.11
Bill Introducing the Band, 1987 1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6 Bill Scott introducing the Jeremy Brown’s band Location: 0347.03.12
The Band Plays at the Prairie Mall, 1987 c. 1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 The Ma Pa Band performs at the Prairie Mall during the Christmas season. Location: 0347.03.13
Grande Prairie Community Orchestra and Chorus, 1987 c. 1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 Jeremy Brown conducts the Grande Prairie Community Chorus and Orchestra. Location: 0347.03.14
Grande Prairie Highland Games, 1989 c. 5 photographs; colour; 4 x 6 Competitive Highland Dancing and Pipes and Drums competitions. Location: 0347.03.15-.19