1950-1988. — 5 cm of textual records. — 105 photographs.
Beaverlodge Lodge #130 of the Royal Purple was instituted on November 30, 1950, by District Deputy Pearl Coons and assisted by the Hythe Lodge. The charter, signed by Supreme Honored Royal Lady Marjorie Burk and secretary Elizabeth Deane was granted Feb 12, 1951. The club’s first meetings were held in members’ homes. From 1952-1977 they met in the old Community Center, then for a year in the Anglican Hall and from 1978 on in the new Community Center. Charter members were Madge Nontell, Honored Royal Lady; Marge Willis, Associate R. Lady; Ann Walker, Loyal Lady; Joan Wolfe, Lecturing Lady; Patricia Carrell, Secretary; Haidee Adams(Hume), Treasurer; Maxine Davis, Conductress; Mandealone Homberg, Chaplain; Clarabelle McClymont, Inner Guard; Marjorie Olsenberg, Outer Guard; Bernice John, 3 term Trustee; Evelyn Hogg, 2 term Trustee; Ruby Sanderson, 1 term Trustee; Jean Longson, Historian; Marie Tyrrell, Pianist; Elma Pfau, Florence Purvis, Patricia Dowd, Jean McKay, Phyllis Lossing, Marie Lossing, Edith Cart, Annabelle Funnell, and Doris Mc Farlane. They raised money through catering, raffles, bake sales and working a hat check service at the Community Center. They also sent old woolens to be made into blankets, assisted school children, hospitals and the elderly. They worked as a group to pattern a child with cerebral palsy and obtained a bursary through the Purple Cross Fund for a student going to university to specialize in hearing and speech problems. They also gave two years assistance to Robert Guest for his studies at the Banff School of Fine Arts. Many of the first members were from Hinton Trail so once a year the Beaverlodge ladies would travel to Hinton T rail for their meetings. When cold weather brought attendance below quorum, ladies spent time studying the constitution and the by-laws.
The records were originally donated to the South Peace Centennial Museum in Beaverlodge by Beaverlodge and District Historical Society and transferred to the South Peace Regional Archives by Lori Dalgleish in November, 2008.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a financial ledger (1973-1988), a book containing photographs of the Honored Royal Ladies (1950-1988), a binder containing a large photographs of group activitiies for each year from 1951-1982, membership records, a copy of the by-laws, written memories and photographs of the 35th anniversary celebrations, 4 district group photographs, and the charter surrender vote in 1988.
Table of Contents
|Series 333.01||Honored Royal Ladies and District History|
|Series 333.03||History, Membership and Events|
|Series 333.01||Honored Royal Ladies and District History. — 1950-1988. — 1 cm of textual records. — 21 photographs.The series consists of a book containing photographs of the Honored Royal Ladies (1950-1988), and a copy of the history of District 11 (British Columbia) and District 15 (Alberta) written by Myrtle Webb and others.|
|Series 333.02||Financial. — 1973-1988. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of a financial ledger from 1973-1988.|
|Series 333.03||History, Membership and Events. — 1950-1988. — 2 cm of textual records. — 84 photographs.The series consists of 52 photographs with some identification (pasted onto pages and cardboard dividers) representing events from 1951-1982, 28 small photographs of charter members pasted onto pages, 4 large district meeting photographs, reports, correspondence, newsclippings, membership records, by-laws, written recollections and the record of the charter surrender. 6 of the group photographs are described on the database.|