Baldur School District #4349 fonds. — 1928-1938. — 2 cm of textual records.
Baldur School operated for 10 years in the Poplar Hill area of Hythe, not far from Bush Lake. It was named after a hero in Norse Mythology, as were the nearby districts of Valhalla and Odin. The first organizational meeting was in 1928, and the school was started that fall by volunteer labour. By Christmas of 1929, the school was ready and a teacher was hired, Mary Lewis. Through the depression which followed, the community struggled to keep the school open and teachers hired. Two of the earliest teachers were Agnes Loberg and Alice Stolee. The school closed in June 1955 and the students bussed to Hythe or Valhalla thereafter.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book and a few loose pages detailing the decisions made by the Baldur School District for the years 1928-1938, as well as accounts, tax assessment, and declarations of office.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, Volume II, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06